Technology changes the way people interact with one another. It changes people’s relationships.
Technology is the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry.
Everyone is constantly distracted by there devices and get very defensive when asked to put the device down, or away. Some people can’t even go to a bookstore and buy a book they would rather download it onto their electronic device.
On average a single person spends around about:
- 25 minutes on youtube a day which works out to around 3 hours a week
- 50 minutes on facebook a day which works out to around 6 hours a week
- 35 minutes on snapchat a day which works out to around 4 hours a week
- 53 minutes on Instagram a day which works out to around 6 hours a week
- 36 minutes on twitter a day which works out to around 4 hours a week.
Altogether it works out 23 hours spent on social media a week, which is nearly a full day on technology. That doesn’t include watching tv, being on the computer doing work things. This is just an average statistic of how much time some people spend on social media, some people spend a lot more time on social media and some people spend less time on social media. Technology isolates people from the real world.
It has ruined family’s, people can’t even sit at the table without going on their phones, family’s would sit and play board games, watch films together but now a mobile phone or a laptop get in the way.
Children would rather sit in, play on there Playstations, Xbox’s etc rather than go out and go explore.
Believe it or not but technology is very dangerous. The number of people who text and drive or make a phone call and drive. On average 90% of road users use their phone whilst driving. Over 3477 people are killed due to drivers using their mobile phone whilst driving and 391,000 people are seriously injured due to people using their phones whilst driving.
Morning routines have changed, people check their phones first thing in the morning before even getting out of bed, Many teens / young adults are late for work due to being distracted by there phones or other means of technology.
Some of the downsides of technology are:
- Isolation – Due to people staying in and spending so much time on their computers, game consoles etc, it causes a lack of contact with other people. When people are on there breaks at work they spend their time on the phones scrolling through there facebook newsfeed, instead of socializing.
- Violence – Some people who constantly play video games or watch violent films which have a structure of violence. Some people see the violence, certain moves and want to try it out themselves.
- Less Sleep – As technology develops people get addicted to the newest apps for the mobile phones, games etc. Which makes them stay up late as they get addicted to the games. Notifications constantly going off, check there phone every few minutes.
- Depression – Social media can affect depression, due to online trolls, ‘keyboard warriors’. Saying things that they may not know about, they may say things out of context. Hurting people because people have hurt them.
- Obesity – The more time people spending indoors playing online, watching youtube etc. Means the fewer time people spend outdoors, exercising. As its just easier to get/cook, they eat unhealthy / junk food, which means they put more calories in than they burn off which means they gain weight.
However there are some positive sides of technology, these are:
- Communication – With all the different types of technology now, you can contact people from all over the world. Long distant families, long distant relationships. It can keep you in contact with the ones who you love but are hours and hours away from you.
- Jobs – A lot of people are online now. Youtubers, bloggers etc work from home and do it as a full-time job. People can also start there own E-Commerce business online and use social media to promote their business.
- Education – With the internet, today people can find anything out online, it can help with school work, research for university. It can help improve grades with all the information that can be found online.
- Saves Lifes – Without mobile phones, or the technology ambulances have, hospitals have, it can save people lives. Without that technology, some people may have not survived the illness or the accidents they had been in. Even googling a quick question can also save someone’s life, knowing how to put someone into the recovery position etc. Also, it has a positive side because anyone with a mobile phone can ring the emergency services free of charge, which again could save someone’s life.